It’s my fifth day in a row
running. 7 k, 18 k, 12 k, 14 k and now today – one last long run. If I hit the
hoped for 20 miles I’ll hit the magic 50+ miles for the week. Why it will be
magic I don’t know. Numbers are arbitrary. Still it will feel god to have
achieved even if I don’t feel good getting out of bed this morning.
I would not say I crawl out of
bed this morning but the opposite of Christmas Day morning for a 8 year old is
how fast I get up today. Toes need stretching, feet are sore, legs are tired
and the body needs rest like a house plant needs watering. And in all good
time. But this morning it’s my last long run so I get myself ready and get
going.
I have ran many, many runs on my
own but for the last extended jaunt it’s manna from heaven to have some
company. Looping around the fields in Trim with Kieran and our drinks and food
stop set up the tough opening 5 k is all but done by the time we’ve caught up
on what we’ve been up to over the last fortnight. We are then joined by team-mates
James and Maurice and it is with Maurice I complete most of my second half as
Kieran stretches the legs up to race pace to test them - something I’ve felt I’ve
done enough over the last week.
Just as Maurice finishes his own
long run I hit my final 4 k, which is short enough for me to open my own legs
up for those last few miles. As I do I see Kieran – a kilometre out from
wrapping up his fast final 10 miles – and hook up once more for a kilometre
burst before the final 2.5 k is done solo.
32 k. I’m glad I had company. I’m
glad it’s my last.
The marathon training is dead.
Long live the taper!
Yesterday’s training
Rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment