“A stadium”.
“Yes, the World Championship Stadium of 1993.
You run into the Estadio Olimpico Stadium like the marathon runners back then
and finish a lap”.
“Is it a big stadium?”
“Huge!”
“Wow! that’s class”, I added.
“You can even stay in the stadium. They’ve
got a hotel there”.
“Wow! that’s class”, I added
more.
And with that the 2013 Sevilla
Marathon had me sold.
Foreign marathons have become
more and more appealing over the years and you can understand why. I mean, a
foreign city. A weekend break. The feeling that because you will be running
26.2 miles you can allow yourself a little splurge with a trip away. And then
of course there is great opportunity to see the place, even though it’s
probably the first 5 k that you’ll really truly enjoy it.
My first two experiences overseas
were perhaps not fair examples. I mean yes, Berlin and Edinburgh were beautiful
places to visit but with one being my first true marathon and the other one
being where I collapsed they probably didn’t give me the best sense of the
appeal of a foreign marathon.
Sevilla however would be
different. February in Andalucia with oranges beginning to ripen, warming sun
though not yet summer hot, friendly people, good food, beautiful buildings and
I had a few friends living here?
I mean what could go wrong? Well
the training for the start. A February marathon in Spain means a winter
marathon training in Ireland.
Crud!
Yesterday’s training
The interval training that I missed out on
yesterday. 4 x 1 miles at half-marathon pace.

No comments:
Post a Comment