Monday, September 5, 2016

The er... Fun of Canal Fishing

I discovered why canal fishing is so interesting a few years back. Well, I kind of discovered why canal fishing is so interesting. It is, for the same reason running is.

You see, I used to live in Maynooth for several years and my training run would bring me along the Grand Canal that intersects the town. I would jog along it for several kilometres in both directions, either to Kilcock where you will find the only place in Ireland where a railway, runs along a canal, that runs along a road, that runs along a river (at least that’s what Dad told me) or to Leixlip. I never made it to Leixlip, always choosing to turn in and do a loop of the wonderfully beautiful environs of Carton House.

Along this run I would pass by people, usually men, sitting still and fishing. They’d be there on the way out and still be there on the way back irrespective of whether I was doing 5k or 25k. And for a long while I wondered “how on earth could you find sitting in the one place enjoyable”. It’s not like they were also reading War and Peace or watching Netfix. And then one day I realised that they were probably thinking the same thing about me.

I mean, how could running from point A to point B be enjoyable? But it is. And I realised that while someone who has never ran (chasing a bus, looking for a loo and escaping a lion don’t count) may understandably find it difficult to understand why someone might enjoy running, I also realised that not understanding how something could be enjoyable (i.e. canal bank fishing) doesn’t mean it isn’t.

One of the reasons I enjoy running is how it can allow the mind to wander. If I run at just the right pace, not too hard, just below what I would find as difficult, I can start day-dreaming. This can be on anything from stuff at home to the next trip away, the to-do-list of next week to the month-it-was. It is a nourishing mixture of processing ideas and thoughts and forming plans and new ones. And while the body might be slowly tiring as I run, in the right stride the mind is slowly growing, or at least waking up.

No more is the day-dream more welcomed than on the solo-run without company when the mind drifts away the distance becomes so much shorter.
 
Unfortunately, I have never quite got into the same mental space during a marathon.
In a marathon the emotion and energy of the day doesn’t seem to mix with day-dreams. While the first half of a good marathon might see me not get too bogged down on the miles and kilometres ran or left to run, I don’t think I’ve ever been able to get into a mental space where I’m day-dreaming about weekend city breaks or wondering what needs to be shopped for. However, by the second half I tend to find myself becoming more and more aware of exactly how much is left, how I am feeling, how tough it is and how this does not feel like feckin’ canal bank fishing!

Still even if the final 5 mils aren’t the rest of it is fun and if you don’t run yourself you’ll just have to trust me on that, just like the fishing.

Yesterday’s training
8k slow.


No comments:

Post a Comment