Friday, September 2, 2016

Along the shadows

Thursday was my first reasonably quick day back. Having been sitting on the side-lines for more than a fortnight I had begun running again along the shadows over the last week. I say along the shadows as I had been running on my own. A part of me didn’t want to meet up with others and have someone’s quicker pace cause me to unravel. And a part of me knew that if I joined up with the club on the Tuesday or Thursday I would not help but allow myself to join one of their serious sessions.

So from the edges I’ve looked on as many gear themselves up for October, getting stronger, running longer, feeling fitter, looking confident.

Last Tuesday I felt strong enough to meet the fellow team-mates down at the fields. Though there was a moment’s hesitation when they started to group together for some intervals I resisted the urge and hooked up with James who was finishing a slow distance run on tired legs. The when he finished up I went my own way as the group continued moving.

Running along the Braveheart 5k route, in the Porchfields which I added to a little, to an uninformed onlooker I must have appeared like a confused moth as I first went up one way then down another. I kind of looked like I knew where I was circumnavigating towards but then there was no way to be sure. 

It’s on days like this you miss not being able to run with some colleagues or a club. Still, I promised myself if I kept my discipline to stick to a short, steady run today then come next week I might allow myself to join in at the intensity I was used to. And if that goes well, then it won’t be long before I can don the red and white stripes of our strip in a race again.

Here’s hoping.

Yesterday’s training
My first type of faster running with some 10 minute intervals at just above marathon pace with 2 minute jogging breaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment