The May Bank Holiday The wind is at my back. I’m running downhill. And it’s my first race of the year. I want to take off but the handbrake is on.
The Meath
Sports Partnership 10 K in Kells, and despite it being a Bank Holiday there is
a small but decent sized crowd who have come out for the spin. As I head out of
town and into open country I watch almost a dozen runners start to stretch
ahead of me at a pace that isn’t that faster than what I know I would have ran
last year or the year before that. I can’t help but feel that I want to set off
after them. Like a bull held inside all winter and with the wind and the
downhill whispering me on, I’m dying to tear away. Except at the back of my
mind I know if I do, I will be dying coming back.
The truth is
I have yet to put in any real training. So while I would love to be motoring along
and chasing a sub 38 time I managed a few years back I’m quite a distance off
that, at least for the moment. So if I chase down that time, it will only be
for the first few kilometres before inevitably the wheels come off and I spend
the final 5 kilometres existing in my own private world of Kells countryside hell.
I know this because I have done it on countless other occasions when too
impatient to get to old levels I go off too quick.
Instead, I
have a new motto, run where you’re at, not where you want to be. And in doing so
runners who I might like to run with or ahead of later in the year disappear
into the distance and I get to enjoy the country environs of north county Meath
without the desire to throw up!
In the end I
overtake a few in the final 5 k to finish 5th in a respectable time
of 42.01. On the one hand it is only 30 seconds faster than what I would hope
to cover the same distance in a marathon, something that is a little
disconcerting when I realise I’d have to add three more 10k and then some! But
on the other, it is only May, it didn’t rain and there is a long time left to
go before October.
No comments:
Post a Comment